Thursday 14 May 2015

Painting Practice

I have started trying my hand at canvas art mixed with vinyl lettering masking. Here are three projects I made recently.

Before Christmas 2014 I made this one. This first experiment with spay paint and canvas taught me many lessons about paint thickness and excess moisture but it still looks vintage and festive. I love the Dr. Seuss phrase from 'How the Grinch stole Christmas.' I went over some of the not so nice parts with white acrylic paint and antiqued it up with some brown acrylic paint and sanding.
I ended up gifting this one in the Work Christmas Gift exchange game and everyone was very excited about it and the Pillows I made that went with it.

For this other Christmas project I had something more like this big Merry & Bright sign in mind but the small one is cute too. I love the gold look.


Here it is displayed on our fireplace mantel in the top right of the photo.

This project I used inspiration from a few different projects I saw on Pinterest. I wanted lights like Stars or the Merry & Bright inspiration, an HP quote, and different colours.
The quote I had already selected was "Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light" spoken by Professor Albus Dumbledore as he addresses the pupils of Hogwarts in the Great Hall at the start of the film The Prisoner Of Azkaban. I thought this quote would be well suited to a lighted canvas project as it even says to 'turn on the light' and I like puns like that. (I am Lame, I know.) So i searched it on Pintrest and found this EXACTLY the project I was looking for. It was perfect, All I needed to do was make it my own.


I printed out the letters with my cameo and adhered them over the white canvas. I then spray pained over the letters with black and added blue acrylic paint with a sponge. After it had dried I removed the vinyl letters and voila!

The next step was to add the lights, I poked holes in the canvas with a tack at "random" intervals to create stars then I pushed the lights through those holes.  I secured them on the back with Duct Tape, it's not pretty but it works.

I am really happy with how this turned out and I use it as a night light.

Thanks for stopping by today,
Stay creative my darlings!
-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

You May also like: